Wednesday, October 3, 2007

The day he was born....

It's true. My baby boy is 2 today. I didn't really feel like this when he turned 1, although I'm not quite sure why. I'm almost a little sad that he's not my baby (by the technical sense of the word) anymore. But at the same time, I'm so proud of the little kid he's becoming and how his independence grows every day.
Maybe this is just from being pregnant, but I've been thinking a lot about his birth and what it was like to finally hold that little baby in my arms after 9 months of waiting. I wanted to cry from the joy, but was too exhausted for any tears to come. I remember that all I could do when they set him in my arms was stare at his little scrunched up face in awe. I just kept saying, "Hi...". I couldn't think of any other words. I didn't want to let him out of my arms and would refuse to let him sleep in the hospital bassinet, even if it was right next to my bed.
And then of course, we took him home and reality set in and I thought to myself, "What in the world am I going to do with this baby?". I sat on the couch, crying, clutching Aiden to me. And it was all out of fear that I was going to fail miserably as a mother to this little person who looked to ME to keep him alive. It's a huge task. All I can say is that God must have so much trust in us to just hand us a mini-person to take care of. And I must have done a good enough job because I'm going to be handed another one in 3 months. :^)
Well Aiden, happy 2nd birthday. The first babies are always kind of the test babies, so I hope you're not too un-balanced. We love you.

No comments: