Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Aiden's first dentist appointment

It wasn't good. I told Aiden before we went that we were going to the dentist and he responded happily that he would get to show the dentist how he brushed his teeth. Once we got there, Aiden went up to the counter and announced, "Hi, I'm Aiden. And I'm here to see the dentist.". He also seemed really eager to get back to the exam room.
But once we got back there....things went downhill quickly. As soon as Aiden got a look at all the strange dental equipment and heard the drilling noises coming from other exam areas, he flipped. Crying, shaking, and he went and hid in a corner! We kept trying to explain that we just needed him to open his mouth and show us his teeth, but he just huddled down further into the corner and kept crying.

Finally, the dentist came in (who is a pediatric dentist and used to dealing with little ones). He had me hold Aiden in my lap, warned me that Aiden probably would cry, but it would just take a minute to get a look in his mouth. So he got a quick look at his teeth, said that it all looked great, and sent us on our way.
As we left, Aiden kept repeating, "I'm so scared....I'm sorry, mommy". It was heartbreaking. Poor kid had one of the worst first experiences at the dentist...and they barely did anything.

1 comment:

Tex said...

You broke my heart. Poor baby. I'd give him a great big hug if I could!!!