Thursday, March 17, 2011

Beannacht Lá Fhéile Pádraig!

Translation: Happy St Patrick's Day! :^)

In honor of my partial Irish-ness, we had a festive stay at home day today. I wore painted green fingernails, green eye shadow, and my usual St Patrick's Day shirt 'Kiss Me, I'm Irish'. I informed the boys that they too needed to wear green or risk getting pinched by a leprechaun (I quickly had to tell Nathan that I was joking after he looked slightly terrified). Aiden says to me, "Leprechauns get into something....what was it....hmmm, mischief!". Haha!

In the afternoon, we settled into the kitchen for the long haul. We started our green cupcakes:


Green batter!

Slightly icky looking green baked cupcakes (but they look so cool once you bite into them!).



Then frosted with cream cheese frosting and sprinkled with green sugar sprinkles. Yummy!



After the cupcakes were out of the oven, the boys played while I started on dinner. You would think that with it being St Pat's, I would make corned beef and cabbage. Nope! Corned beef and cabbage isn't actually Irish. It was created in New York City in a Jewish neighborhood! So I stick with traditional recipes from Ireland (stews, fish, pork loin, etc) and try to do a new one every year. This year was Hunter's Pie (although I do admit that I used beef instead of lamb....mostly because I wouldn't know where to get lamb!). I also found a new recipe for the traditional Soda Bread and oh my word, the entire family is in LOVE with it. We absolutely devoured it. Thank goodness it's super cheap and easy - I can make it all the time!


Soda bread with oats. Sooooo good!



Irish side dish: Glazed carrots. They were amazing, although probably not as healthy as carrots should be. :^)


So our St Patrick's Day comes to a close and we are still holding our very full tummies and wondering if we should hop on the treadmill for a while. We'd have to roll on over there first though. But I'm already thinking of making some more of that soda bread. Instead of ending with an Irish blessing, I will share the soda bread recipe. Because it doesn't get much better than blessing your home and family with some truly good food.
Oats and Honey Irish Soda Bread
1 3/4 cup flour
1/2 cup oatmeal
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
3 tbsp honey
1 cup buttermilk
Preheat oven to 400. Grease baking sheet.
In a large bowl, stir together flour, oats, baking soda, and salt. Add in honey and buttermilk and stir until dough comes together. Dough will be sticky. Form into a ball (as much as you can) and place on prepared baking sheet. It will look very flat.
Bake at 400 for 30-35 minutes, until loaf is golden brown. Allow to cool for about 20 minutes before slicing. Personal note: Is great as-is, but tastes VERY good with butter! Enjoy!

No comments: