Friday, September 2, 2011

Good Morning Sunshine

Back in the spring when I registered Aiden for kindergarten, I requested afternoon kindergarten. Every piece of information we've gotten from the school district indicated that afternoon kindergarten was a go. Until yesterday. We got his teacher assignment, but there was no mention of whether it was morning or afternoon kindergarten. I called the school to clarify the information and was told that there would be no afternoon kindergarten. Oh joy.

You see, not a single person in this house is a morning person. The closest one to a morning person is Nathan and his natural wake up time is 7:30-8. Aiden's natural wake up time is 9:30. School starts at 8am. That means that we have one week to train ourselves to get up at 6am.

It didn't occur to me for the entire summer that he wouldn't be in afternoon kindergarten. I don't really know why that didn't register in my brain as a possibility, but oh well. This is going to be quite tough. But on the other hand, it's going to be helpful for keeping us on track schedule-wise for our new simplicity plan. We will HAVE to get up on time. We will HAVE to go to bed at a reasonable hour. I'm not super excited, but it was either this year or next year when 1st grade starts. So it happened a year earlier than we really anticipated, but it won't kill us.

Yesterday I bought the boys new alarm clocks to assist with waking them up. Last night, I started putting my alarm (my phone) across the room from me instead of right next to my bed - forcing myself to get up. I was in bed at 11pm last night and very proud of myself. And then I couldn't fall asleep for two hours. The boys had both taken naps (unusual for them), so they were still bouncing off the walls at midnight. Once I finally did fall asleep, I kept waking up every hour. Alarms went off at 6am and I felt like death. Not a good start. So it wasn't the early start that we had planned on, but we were still up by 8am. Not in time for a school day, but hey, it's our first day trying this and I'd been up for most of the night. We'll try again tomorrow.

Did I mention we're not morning people? Thank goodness Costco sells coffee in bulk.

1 comment:

-Elizabeth B.- said...

Yeah... in college I had at least 3 alarms, with one across the room. I would get up (still sleeping), turn it off, and go back to bed. I would turn the other ones off, too... I hope it actually works for you! Good luck!! :o)