A big thanks to everyone who kept Aiden in prayer this morning. He's not home yet, so I have no update on what he thinks or how it went, but this is how our morning went. (11:39am: Update at bottom of post)
We got up at 6:30. Well, everyone but Aiden got up at 6:30. He refused to get out from under his covers. The downside of a bunk bed is that it's hard for a parent to climb up there and get him down. We finally got him out of bed and dressed. He refused to eat breakfast. I told him that there were no snacks at school (can you believe that they don't give them snacks??) and he wouldn't be able to eat until lunch. He still wouldn't eat. After a long hug and some reassurances from daddy, Aiden and I (with Nathan) headed off to walk to school. We got into the classroom, hung up his backpack, and put his school supplies away. Aiden asked me to stay with him. I told him that I could stay for a few minutes, but that I wasn't allowed to stay all day. He started to cry. His crying was momentarily interrupted by the other child crying so hard he was vomiting. That poor teacher.
After an announcement from the teacher that all parents needed to leave, I gave Aiden a hug and said goodbye. He began screaming and sobbing, saying, "Please, please, let me go home!!". I had to hand him off to the teacher and I left. I hated walking out, but I knew if I didn't, I was going to burst into tears. Now, the majority of mothers I know who have had kids go to kindergarten have admitted that they cried on the first day, so I know I'm not the only one. But I had to hold it in until we walked back home, so I wasn't the lady sobbing as she walks down the street. I really let the tears go once we got home. He's normally so outgoing and social. He's never been clingy like this. He's gone to preschool for three years with no separation issues at all! I feel horrible. I can only hope that he settled in after a good cry.
But we'll forever remember the sadness of this morning by looking at his "first day of kindergarten" picture.
The look on his face just really sums everything up.
Update: I picked him up and the first thing he says is, "I missed you soooooooo much!! But it was really fun and I knew ALL the songs from preschool!". He assured me that he did stop crying and that it wasn't quite so boring after all, but he's still not sure that he likes it as much as he should. Hey, it's a start and he doesn't seem heartbroken about going back tomorrow. Hopefully he'll transition a little easier tomorrow morning.



No comments:
Post a Comment