Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Life Changes

Sometimes life gets a little crazy and you need to adjust your priorities. Sometimes something in your head starts giving you little nudges to try to tell you that something needs to change. Usually one of those is enough, thank you very much. But we've gotten both in the past few weeks and today will be the beginning of change.

John's work is going well. Very, very well. He's busy beyond belief and his bosses tell him that it's just going to continue for as long as they can currently see. His boss told him that if he wanted to work upwards of 70 hours per week (!!), they would LOVE it. Here's the problem: John is getting behind on work because he has to leave work to come home and watch the boys so that I can go to work. John makes three times as much as I do. We're actually limiting our income by me working. After lots and lots and lots of discussions, we made the decision to have me quit my job. I will be turning in my notice when I go in tonight.

This is hard. I don't hate my job and I really like the people I work with. If I didn't like it, it wouldn't be so hard to leave. I know it's the best for us right now, but I will miss it. Although we included the boys in some of our discussions and they were very encouraging and excited at the thought of having me home.

So there's the changing of priorities. Now how about the little voice telling us that something needs to change? The little voice actually helped in making the decision to have me quit my job. For a while now, I've been feeling like I needed to get away from retail and go back to school. At first, the thought of it came up every now and then. But lately, I've been almost distracted by the thought of it. Especially while I'm at work. After telling John about it and including it in the discussion of jobs in general, I am hoping to take my placement test at PCC this weekend (God willing) and finally get signed up for fall classes. It feels quite scary and all I can do is hope and pray that all of this is the right thing to do. I know it will be difficult with two little boys, but I am so ready.

At first glance, two working and one in school looks a lot better than one working and two in school. But after pushing past the initial fears, everything seemed right about it. And now we take a deep breath and let it all begin.

No comments: