Sunday, November 25, 2007

At least we got a tour of sorts....

I was sent in to Maternity at St. V's this afternoon. There had been some concern on my part since last Sunday about possibly leaking fluid. I called the on-call midwife on Wednesday to get her opinion and was told to keep an eye on it and what specifically to watch for. Then during church this morning, I was pretty convinced that it had gotten worse. I had a nice lunch with the extended family, discussed my concerns with my mother-in-law and my sister-in-law/nurse in training/labor support person. I think they were about to throw me in the car and take me themselves, so I agreed to call again. Luckily, the same midwife was on call today and she remembered speaking with me on Wednesday. She told me to come right in, so we left Aiden with the family and headed over.

Once we got there, things happened fairly quickly. They were pretty busy too, but I was in a gown and hooked up to a monitor within 10 minutes. I stressed the fact that I wasn't positive about what I was leaking, but that I was concerned about it. They were very up front in telling me that if I was leaking fluid, I would not be going home until the baby was born. Just what I need at 33 weeks and a 2 year old depending on me....
Thankfully though, the exam and stick test showed that I wasn't losing amniotic fluid. I will, however, leave out the lovely details of the explanation for you. I apologized for taking up a bed and the nurse just laughed and said that it wasn't a big deal and that they have women in there multiple times a day, wondering if they're losing fluid when they aren't. I was scolded a bit for apologizing and reminded that being this early yet, I should never feel sorry for wanting to make sure that everything is ok with the baby.

I am glad we went, even though I still feel slightly as though I took up their time. I've been worrying about it all week and now I can relax and know that this baby can bake for a little while longer. It was also nice to know where to go and what the process will be like when it finally happens. It takes a bit of anxiety off the whole experience. So, sigh of relief for me and now it's time for a bath and some very deep sleep.

1 comment:

Hannah said...

Wow... de ja vu. I was exactly 33 weeks when I also started "leaking." I, however, did go to St. V's and didn't get to go home. I am so glad that you were able to return home to be with Aiden - hopefully for 7 more weeks. Keep us updated. You'll be in my prayers. I can't wait for this little baby to arrive.