I am taking my first library class this term - Library Materials. I figured it would be a simple class to ease me into my education courses, as it is a lower level course. Wrong! We have been given a project to do a fake evaluation on a small section (50 or so books in a collection) of a library. The only issue is that no library will respond to my requests for assistance. It's definitely frustrating - especially since I really just need to spend 20 minutes with a librarian and then the rest is to be done on my own, so I wouldn't be taking up a bunch of their time. I am supposed to have my project description submitted by the end of the week and I have yet to find a library placement. The class I was extremely excited about is turning out to be something that is stressing me out and making me a little bit angry. And I'm only in my second week of the term.
I am planning on just walking into our library this evening and hoping against hope that I can convince a reference librarian to provide me with the information on a small section without any warning. If not, I will either have to do everything from scratch (copy down all dewey decimal numbers, publication dates, circulation dates, titles, authors, current circulation status, etc) by the end of the week (which CAN be done, but it's crazy complicated) or drop the class. I do run the risk of the librarian refusing to help, as other students have encountered that issue. I had no idea this whole thing would be so confusing and infuriating. If you can, please pray that I can get over this one hurdle of getting the information I need for my project description.
UPDATE: Well, that was fast! Within an hour of posting this, I received a response from our library and the collections manager would love to work with me on my project! I can now officially be excited!
A Slow Cooker Thanksgiving
10 months ago



No comments:
Post a Comment