Saturday, October 9, 2010

Aiden's Birthday Party

We had Aiden's birthday party last Sunday with both family and some preschool friends. While it was the most people we've packed into our house so far and it was a little wild (it definitely would NOT have been able to happen in an apartment!), Aiden had a lot of fun and loved seeing some friends that he hadn't seen since June.

It was a Toy Story costume party! Aiden was Buzz and Nathan was Woody (a nice way to get more use out of their Halloween costumes). We had one more Buzz and one more Woody to add to the group, plus a Rex! It was very cute to see all the boys running around dressed up.

Since it was a Toy Story party, Aiden had begged for a Toy Story cake. Of course, everyone in our area had run out of cake toppers and decor kits. Finding decor for this party was the biggest pain ever, but a 5th birthday is a big deal for a little boy, so I was determined to make it happen. I had to go for some basic color items to match to Toy Story colors, but it worked and probably kept the cost down. After multiple store trips and phone calls (including a call to a certain Beaverton cake decorating shop which ended quite rudely and I will never, ever shop there because of it), I finally bought some very small Toy Story figures and food coloring and made the cakes myself. Yes, I said cakes. I made a Woody cake (shown in the collage at the bottom of the post) and a Buzz cake (also shown). They weren't super pretty, but Aiden was happy and that's all that matters. I just know that I will never be a professional cake decorator and that's ok with me! It was an experience and I'm glad I tried it.

Aiden got some very fun presents and they are still keeping him and Nathan busy. We are so happy that we were able to have so many people join us to celebrate our little guy turning one whole hand!

Here's some pictures from Aiden's birthday party - click on the collage to make it bigger.

Posted by Picasa

No comments: