Monday, September 20, 2010

Again? Really??

I walked into a door. No use starting this off slow. Might as well just put it right out there. I walked into a door and I broke my nose. Again. How on earth can one human being be so accident prone?

You see, our laundry room door has some cruddy hinges. They do not hold the door open by any means. I know this. I usually put the small trash can in front of the door to hold it open. I didn't this time. I opened the laundry room door, went inside, started the dryer, heard a bang from the boys' room, turned around quite quickly to head towards the boys room and ran myself smack into the edge of the door. I hit so hard that I knocked myself backwards into the washing machine. I heard the CRACK! as soon as I hit and before the pain even registered in my brain, I knew what I had happened. Crunching, crushing, pinching, sharp, throbbing pain throughout the bridge of my nose, across my eyes, into my forehead (I also hit my forehead and had a nice outline of the door for a while). Bloody nose, also ended up with a bit of a swollen top lip and my front teeth feel a little strange.

I am so tired of crushing my face. This is the second broken nose this year. Third of my lifetime. I know the drill now:

Have you stopped the bleeding? Yes.

Is your breathing obstructed? Not any more than last time.

Is it the same spot as the last two times? Yes.

Is your nose visibly deformed? Not really.

Do you want heavier pain killers than ibuprofen? No, they make me sick.

Follow instructions for standard simple fracture. Ice, painkillers, keep your head elevated when you sleep, call if you have any concerns, the bleeding returns, or the swelling gets worse after three days.

If you can't tell, I'm annoyed and frustrated. I don't like taking a shower and being in so much pain I could cry because a drop of water fell on the bridge of my nose. I don't like the horrible pain-filled sleep that gives me no real rest. I don't like feeling as though I have to hold my face perfectly still in order to keep the pain level manageable. But prescription pain killers cause me to vomit, so I can't take them and there's nothing else my doctor can do unless the break is more severe (and even then it would just be mashing my nose back in place). Argh.

But along with my frustration, I am happy that it's not a severe break. And I'm happy that my face tends to not bruise very easily, so I won't look like I've been in a horrible car accident. It really could look much, much worse than it does. I'm just annoyed with myself for slamming my own face into a door. Oh the things I should not have to say....

And of course, John's first question was, "Didn't you used to be a ballerina?". I give you a friend's (who used to be a dancer as well) response, "Dancers are the biggest clutzes around. We are graceful on stage, but as soon as we get into the wings, we're tripping over wires". So there you go.

No comments: