Monday, October 13, 2008

The on-going sleep issue

We've finally hit the point where I just don't know how to deal with getting Nathan to stay asleep in his crib. He's got such a strong personality that all the slow, detailed, trying to coerce them into staying in their cribs stuff isn't working. Maybe the strong personality types are better suited for Ferber....I don't know. I know I'm not suited for dealing with Ferber, that's for sure!

We've been so unbelievably sleep deprived for the past few weeks that it's really digging into our daily lives. We're almost constantly somewhat sick and today was awful. Neither John nor I really ever woke up all day. Today was such a blur and it's all because I was half asleep for it! Nathan is getting worse at night and I think he's hit the point that Aiden hit at 11 months. He enjoys sleeping in our bed and nursing, but our movement is waking him up and him waking up is keeping us up. John put his foot down this morning and insisted that Nathan be moved into Aiden's room tonight. I've cried off and on all day because of this (plus there are issues with my mother that came up this weekend and I've got a lot of anger and frustration to deal with right now). But I'm lost and so tired, so since John has been so gracious at letting me try different techniques, I will let him try now.

Nathan and Aiden are currently in their room - Nathan is asleep, Aiden is going to sleep. I know Nathan will wake up at some point and probably very soon, and that's when the real challenge will begin. I'm nervous and worried and I hate myself for not being able to teach him self-soothing on my own. This really stinks, but I said a little prayer as I put his crib together and I'm hoping this might go a little easier than I'm anticipating. We do have Nathan's 9 month checkup in the morning and maybe I can get a little insight from his pediatrician on how to make the most of this process. I'll update tomorrow (hopefully), but for now, I'm off to bed. We'll see how long I get to stay there.

1 comment:

andreagw said...

Hang in there. I wish that I could help in some way. Is everything ok withyour mom?It kind of sounds like our moms could be sisters :(