Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Crazy!

Last night was our 2nd night of putting Nathan to sleep in his crib and I was anxious about it all day. As bedtime approached, I got really nervous and prepared to deal with a very angry 9 month old. With Aiden, we had decided to make John the designated bedtime person, since Aiden was aware that he could get milk from me and not daddy. Since Nathan is also aware of that, we decided to continue with that plan.

We got the boys dressed for bed, read a few books, and then put Aiden in bed. Our plan was to put them in bed at the same time, but I hadn't yet nursed Nathan, so I took him out of the room to do that before putting him in bed. Aiden became very upset when we took Nathan out of the room. He started yelling, "No!! The baby needs to go to bed in my room!!". Strange, but I'm glad that he's excited about it and not hating Nathan for taking over his space.
After nursing Nathan, I handed him over to John so he could put him in his crib. John put him to bed, turned out the light, and left the room. Nathan began to complain (but not cry) and Aiden began talking to him. Once Aiden started talking to him, Nathan got quiet and we heard nothing from either one of the boys. There wasn't a peep from that room until Nathan woke up at 5:30am to nurse.

I should be absolutely ecstatic, but I don't believe that it actually happened. There's no way that a baby who has nursed to sleep and co-slept for his entire life (as short as it may be) could do that on his 2nd night. I still believe that it was a fluke and we'll be dealing with a screamer tonight. But I must say that I've been feeling pretty well rested today and it's nice. I'm not even close to being caught up on sleep, but it's a start. It still took me a very long time to fall asleep last night and I even had to dig out my body pillow that I used while I was pregnant in order to get comfortable. I guess I'm the one learning to fall asleep on my own!

I'll definitely keep you updated on our progress. It will be interesting to see how he does tonight. :^)

No comments: