Monday, July 28, 2008

A wedding and an outing!

Note: Click on any photo to enlarge. If you click on the title to this post, it will take you to an online photo album with all the pictures from our weekend.

We had an eventful weekend and it was certainly nice to differ from our usual routine. On Friday, we attended my friend Liz Sugden's wedding in Battle Ground, Washington. I have known her since I was 4 1/2 and we haven't really seen each other since I was in high school. She's been working as a missionary in Russia for Northwest Yearly Meeting for the past few years. It was great to be invited to be a part of her big day and to see so many people that I hadn't seen in years. I think I made some people feel very old by showing up with my husband and two children!
The ceremony was beautiful and simple. There was an extended time of prayer and reflection, during which people could stand up and share the ways they had seen God working in Liz and Karl's lives. We were all led in song by Nate Macy, who really has some magic fingers on that guitar! The vows included a German custom, but I couldn't hear very well (outdoors and no sound system) so I can't really tell you what it was! After the ceremony, there was a beautiful reception, which included a Quaker wedding custom of everyone in attendance signing the marriage certificate. The food was great - turkey wraps, fresh fruit and veggies, chilled water bottles (it was very warm out there!), and punch. We ended up staying for over 3 hours. Every time we began to get ready to go, someone else that either John or I hadn't seen in forever would run up and we'd all stand there, chatting and admiring my babies. I don't know when I'll get to see Liz again, since she's moving to Germany, but it was an amazing time and I wish her all the best.
Saturday was taken up by John's engineering class, housework, and grocery shopping, so it wasn't too exciting (although Aiden got a few big boo-boos playing football with daddy outside that evening). But on Sunday, we skipped church, packed up the kiddos and headed to the Gorge. We drove along the Historic Scenic Highway to Multnomah Falls, stopping at Vista House on the way. It was slightly hazy and a little cloudy, but it still provided us with a beautiful view down the Columbia River.
We got to Multnomah Falls and found that everyone else had the same idea that we did! The parking was impossible and there were huge crowds everywhere! We still got a good look at the falls and even had some lunch at the snack bar.
After eating, we got back into the car and headed to Oneonta Gorge, which is just a little ways down the road. John and I had hiked there many years ago and even swam under the falls (you have to hike through the gorge, mostly in a stream, but Oneonta Falls are beautiful and well worth it), and John wanted to go back. We took the boys down to the stream, but since the hike is a little tough and requires some climbing of huge log jams, we only went as far as you can go while staying out of the water (takes about 2 minutes). We found a little tree-covered area of the stream bed that we had all to ourselves and Aiden had tons of fun splashing in the water and throwing rocks. We stayed there for only about 30 minutes, as Nathan was beginning to get tired and wasn't going to sleep strapped to me in the Snugli. So, we changed the boys (diaper for Nathan, complete change of clothes for Aiden) and headed back home in time for dinner.

I wish we could take the boys out like that more often, but it's a little hard with John's class and work schedule. Still, we had a great time and took a lot of pictures. Remember the album link in the post title to see more.




No comments: