Thursday, March 1, 2012

The Plan

Someone had a plan for me today. I called the doctor around noon to schedule an appointment for my arm/shoulder since the pain was constant and unbearable. As I was speaking to the receptionist, I took a few minutes to discuss options for changing who my primary doctor was within the practice (note to anyone: If your main doctor constantly treats you like you're a waste of time and space, find someone else). After deciding on a doctor, we started looking at scheduling again. The receptionist says, "We JUST got a cancellation for 3pm. Do you want it?". YES! If I hadn't taken a few minutes to decide on a new doctor, I would have already gotten scheduled for sometime next week and missed this last minute opening.

So off I went with kids in tow (the downside of a last minute appointment is that last minute babysitters are almost non-existent). However. Aiden was excited to see what the doctor was going to do with my arm. The doctor looked, and felt, and discussed, and put in a request for insurance approval for an MRI. That will hopefully be scheduled for Monday so we can find out if there's a tear or not. Once she did that, she said she wanted me to do six weeks of physical therapy, starting out with just pain management. I was sent downstairs to the physical therapy and rehabilitation office to get scheduled. They were booked out for two weeks. Not ideal, but what can you do? As we were scheduling me for two weeks out, someone called and canceled their appointment that was scheduled to start in 15 minutes. Guess who got a surprise hour-long physical therapy session?

Yes, I had the boys in with me but the therapist dug up some crayons and coloring pages so they were occupied. It was nice to get massaged a little around my shoulder, but we soon figured out that those muscles are massively irritated from my injury. Plus, she had to test my range of motion, which is around 35% right now. My shoulder is not pleased. I know it will help in the long run, but I did not expect to be in so much pain   from a pain management appointment. As I was leaving, the receptionist was printing out a copy of my scheduled appointments. There was going a two week gap since they had been booked, but can you guess what happened? Someone called and canceled for an evening appointment for the following week. Everything was perfectly lined up!

What a strange day. Hopefully things will work out just as quickly with getting the MRI scheduled. I'm ready to know what's going on with my shoulder and work on getting it healed. And here's hoping that the next pain management therapy appointment isn't quite so.....painful.

No comments: