Thursday, December 10, 2009

To Preschool or Not to Preschool?

Our little Nathan is growing up faster than I care to notice. Everyone we encounter who asks how old he is always looks surprised that he's not yet two. He can carry on a conversation for goodness sake! Sometimes it just seems silly.

A few days ago, he'd been fairly clumsy throughout the day and had gotten hurt multiple times. During dinner, John asked him if he'd had a hard day and Nathan frowned, replying, "Yes, a hard day". I laughed so hard! It sounded so funny coming from an almost 23-month old (4 more days). And this morning, he tripped and yelled out to me, "I broke my foot, mommy!!". More laughter from mommy... I don't usually laugh at my children's injuries or difficulties, but he makes things awfully hilarious.

Because he's acting older than he is, he's also been attempting to take part in Aiden's class whenever we're there after class has started or before it's over. The teacher doesn't mind and will invite him over to join them in circle time. It's pretty cute because I think he has a crush on her. He talks about Teacher Ally all the time, but acts super shy whenever she talks to him.
Ally and some of the other moms have voiced their opinions that he's very ready for preschool. I do have to agree, but for some reason it's harder to imagine sending him off to school than it was to send Aiden. Aiden has always been more independent than Nathan, so maybe I'm just going off the feeling that Nathan can't be without me like Aiden could.

He is definitely going to be signed up for the next school year. But last time I checked, there was one more opening in the little kids class that Aiden was in last year. As soon as he is 2 (mid-January), he can be signed up for the class. John thinks we should do it whereas I keep going back and forth. Obviously, if they've filled the remaining spot, our question has been answered for us. I'm not going to worry about it until Christmas break is over and school resumes on January 6th. At that point, if the spot hasn't been filled, I'll talk to the director and we'll do a test day (where Nathan and I get to go in and take part in the class for a while). If all goes well, we'll probably see about signing him up. He does get a discount because he's a sibling of a student already enrolled, so that's nice. But I sort of expect the spot to be filled, as January seems to bring some new students around and they are having an open house this coming Sunday. And if that's the case, we will be fine with waiting for the next school year. Nathan certainly isn't screaming that he's ready as much as Aiden was, so it wouldn't be a huge crisis or disappointment for us.

For now, I'll just enjoy the remainder of "baby time" that I have with him. At some point, I'll probably have to retire his nickname of "baby", but what's the rush?

1 comment:

Darla said...

That's awesome, and funny. Johnny barely says a thing. He mumbles "I love you" on rare occasions and sings out "daddy" a lot. He says "hi" and "ah" (for "yes") and that's about the most we get out of him in one day. I wish he was talking because I know he understands everything, I can't understand why he doesn't say things because I can tell he has so much communicating he wants to do all the time. He's good at letting others know what he wants in his owns ways. Seneca was that way too when she was a baby and she's 6 now and brilliant! So, I'm not worried about him in that sense, it would just be nice to be able to converse with him in a more adult manner like I know he is capable of comprehending.