Monday, December 7, 2009

Refried Beans

It's probably a little strange to do a post on refried beans, but there's some pride in this, so bear with me!

I had planned on doing tacos for dinner last night and John had mentioned that he'd really like some refried beans to go along with the taco meat. Well, we didn't have any and I didn't feel like going back outside to go to the store (it was in the 20s all day yesterday!), so I dug the can of pinto beans I'd bought for some unknown reason out of the pantry and decided to make my own refried beans. Yes, I did cheat a little by using canned, but I didn't have time to use dry beans. Once I can plan further ahead, I'll definitely make a big batch using dry beans.

I didn't know how to go about this, so I just made things up as I went along. To my surprise, my creation ended up looking and tasting like refried beans! So here's my "recipe" - I made sure to write it down for at least my own sake.

This is for about one can's worth of beans since that's what I did last night - you'll need to adjust it if you're using a 1 lb bag (3-4 can's worth, assuming 15 oz cans).

Heat 1/2 tablespoon olive oil in frying pan over medium heat.
Once heated, add 1/8 cup finely diced onion and cook until tender.
If wanted, chop up 1 tablespoon of jalapeno and add along with onion.
Add a dash of chili powder and a dash of oregano.
Add 1/8 teaspoon of garlic powder.
Add 1 can of pinto beans with liquid and mash to desired level (I left some whole beans in ours).
Stir over medium heat until desired refried bean consistency is reached.
If using canned beans, add no salt. If using dry beans, salt to taste.
Also, I had to let mine sit on the stove on very low heat to keep it warm until everything else was done and it didn't dry it out, so it possible to keep it warm that way without ruining it.


No comments: