Monday, June 22, 2009

And the decision comes around again

If you remember about a month back, I was asked to train for the assistant manager position at work and I turned it down. I turned it down hoping that there was light at the end of the unemployment tunnel for John. Sadly, the tunnel still seems pretty darn dark and it looks like it's going to stay that way for a while.

About two weeks ago, my manager put in her two week notice and her last day was Saturday. We get our new manager tomorrow. She is coming from another store, but what makes the situation a little more complicated is that she is going to be splitting her time between two stores, as they don't have a manager either. This means that they need someone to take charge of our store on the days that she can't be there. Guess who they want?

After some more consideration about this, John and I have decided that it's in our best interest right now for me to take the position. Because our new manager doesn't know me, she will be evaluating me for a few weeks and then (if she agrees with my old manager's recommendation), I will begin training.

It's a little scary to go for this, as I've never attempted any sort of job promotion before, but I know the store inside and out and I learn quickly. It still hasn't really sunk in that I (Lord willing) will soon be an assistant manager. Please keep us in your prayers through this. I would still prefer for John to get something over me taking this job and it's hard to think about being away from the kids so much, but I also know that I need to do what's best for our family. It would mean a raise and medical benefits, which we are currently without. I'll keep you updated.

No comments: