As I've previously mentioned, I've been staying pretty happy lately through all the changes and disappointments. I'm progressing well at work and today was my first day to open the store on my own. It was a little strange to be there for many hours all by myself (don't worry, I wear a panic device in case something happens) and since I didn't have time for breakfast, I was getting quite hungry right around the time the other girl was supposed to show up. About 5 minutes before her scheduled start time, she calls to let me know that she got into a car accident on her way there and it was going to be a while. She was fine, but her car was totaled (the same thing happened to my manager's husband last Friday....John says our store is cursed). So she ended up being about an hour late, but I was just happy that she wasn't hurt and I still ended up with a very filling lunch break.
The sun brings out many, many customers and I helped a LOT of people today. Payless is extremely concerned with giving every person that walks in the door customized service. We ask a lot of questions, give lots of suggestions, and generally "befriend" the customer. That also means that we cater to basically their every whim and fancy. Normally people are really great and they don't ask too much of us. But today was one of those days that brought out everyone who had the greatest sense of entitlement I've ever come across.
To pick out one of the best ones, we had these two ladies who were shopping with a little 3 year old girl. After helping them with every single little thing they wanted, I gathered that one was the grandma and the other was the great aunt. They were in the store for a good half hour and tried on half the shoes in four different aisles. The only issue was that they wouldn't put a single thing back. They would try the shoes on and then just leave them on the floor. Most people have the decency to at least attempt to clean up after themselves. As they were finally leaving (after not buying anything), the 3 year old says, "Shouldn't we clean up our mess?". The grandma responds, "Why? We don't work here.". I was appalled! There is a serious problem when a 3 year old has better manners than a grown woman.
After dealing with quite a few people like that today, I'm feeling pretty disgusted with humanity right now. I usually come home feeling like I accomplished a productive day at work, but today I came home irritable and wanting to give quite a few "adults" some lessons in decent behavior.
I work another 8 hour shift tomorrow, but the weather isn't supposed to be quite as good, so maybe the horrible people won't want to go shopping. Ugh.
Quick & Easy Peanut Butter Protein Balls
3 days ago



2 comments:
And welcome to the wonderful world of retail! Aren't people lovely?! :) Hang in there- hopefully the nice people will far outnumber the bad customers!
just toss some flip flops at them and call it a day! :) hope that tomorrow goes better!
Post a Comment