I was supposed to have three days off this week (Tues, Wed, and Thurs), which I was looking forward to, even though I really want as many hours as possible. I had Tuesday off, and it was great, and then I spent Wednesday afternoon parent-helping in Aiden's class. I turned on my phone after I was done to find a message from a co-worker, letting me know that they really needed me that evening and could I also cover a 5-9 shift for Thursday? I felt a little disappointed about my sudden lack of days off, but once I found out why the shifts needed to be covered, I was quite happy to help out. The new girl that was hired about two weeks ago came into work yesterday quite upset. When my co-worker (the one who left me the message) asked if she was ok, the new girl told her that she'd been diagnosed with cancer after a routine exam that morning. She was too upset to work, so she went home and they called me to see if I could come in. She has to go meet with some doctors today and that's why I'm covering her shift today as well. She's only 18 and apparently it's what nearly every woman in her family has died from, so she's obviously feeling very upset over it. If you could keep her in your prayers, I'm sure she'd appreciate it.
I feel strange over this whole thing though - a few days ago, I was thinking that it would be great if something would get switched around so I could get full-time hours. This is NOT what I was hoping for! How was I to know that this would happen? I still feel oddly guilty. Especially when I am thanking the Lord for the extra hours I've been able to acquire this week. I went from 10 scheduled hours to 34 hours. Goodness knows we need it now, but I feel so badly for her and her family.
The plan was for her to inform our manager of it this morning, I should find out what the plan is for next week's schedule once I go in this evening. I'm anxious to know what my weeks are going to look like for a while. I'm finding it easier than expected to be the one bringing in the paycheck. And the extra time with my husband isn't so bad either.
Quick & Easy Peanut Butter Protein Balls
3 days ago



2 comments:
Even though it's a difficult situation with your co-work getting diagnosed with cancer, I'm glad that things are working out well for you. God sure works in mysterious ways, but I don't think that you have to feel guilty about her condition and your need to get more hours. She's probably grateful that there is someone who can cover her shifts, because right now I'm sure work is the farthest thing from her mind.
I'm with Emily, consider yourself a blessing for your coworker who needs someone to willingly cover for her shifts!
Post a Comment