Monday, January 19, 2009

Interview, part 2

On Friday, I was called by the manager at Payless to see if I could come in for a 2nd interview. It was today and it was with a manager at another store, purely to give the other manager a fresh perspective on me through someone else's eyes. I still felt quite nervous, and really, who wouldn't be? The 2nd round of interviews is probably the most nerve-wracking, as they are obviously seriously considering me at this point. I met with the manager, who was very nice, and went over some things about the first interview with him. He asked me some questions about my retail experience and what I might be considering for my future with their company, which I had actually spent a lot of time thinking about over the past week. I honestly believe I could do very, very well in management. I don't want to jinx anything, but it went really well and he sounded extremely positive in what he was going to tell the hiring manager. So for now, I'm just waiting on the final phone call. I'm not totally sure when that will be, but hopefully by the end of the week. I suppose it depends on how many other potentials they sent on for a 2nd interview.

While shoe sales isn't really the most challenging job on the planet, the schedule sounds perfect for us and I really do enjoy working in retail. I love talking to people and I feel very good when I can send them home with exactly the thing they were looking for. I didn't feel horribly confident after my first interview, but I have to assume that I was sent on to the 2nd interview for a reason. I sat in the car for a few minutes before my interview and said a little prayer, keeping in mind that I could only do my best and the final decision was not in my control.

I feel better today than I have in a few weeks now. John got some good news at work this evening and he'll have job security for at least the next 6 weeks. I know that doesn't sound like a lot, but they just laid off two people last week and the rumor was that a few others were going to go as well. My stress level has been sky high for a while now and it's an understatement to say that things have been rough. While I'm not looking forward to the additional work load a part-time job may bring, I know that it's what we need right now and that we will make it through this. This might not be the worst of it yet (and boy, I don't want to see the worst of it), but I am trying to grow in my faith and trust that we'll be ok in the end.

That's my update for now. I finally have a day at home tomorrow and my home is as clean as it's been in weeks, so I might just get a chance to post some pictures from Christmas and New Years. I have many stories to tell and I look forward to sharing them with you. I will definitely update when I get the much-awaited phone call from Payless.

No comments: