Thursday, May 17, 2012

Soul Swimmer

Last year, Aiden took regular swim classes and was fabulous at it. Eventually, when we started having all of the frustration issues regarding preschool and not being challenged, that started spilling over into swim classes. He wasn't challenged and wanted longer classes. There wasn't much I could do about that. He had to complete the class he was in and show them that he could do everything before he could be moved up. And how was I supposed to tell them that 30 minute classes weren't good enough? We ended up taking him out and he hasn't had a swimming class since.

Over the past few weeks, he's shown interest in trying out for the local swim team. I am fine with him being on a swim team and I know he'd be great, BUT he needs to take some more classes first to show me that he's ready. I asked him today if he was ready for swim classes again. He says, "No, the classes weren't how I wanted them. They made a mark". John and I were confused. "What mark?", we asked. "They made a mark,", he repeated. We truly had no idea what he was trying to say so we asked him to clarify again. Exasperated, he says, "They made a mark on my soul, ok?!".

We had to try so hard not to laugh. Obviously the kid hasn't forgotten his frustration, but to be so dramatic about it was hilarious. So, no swim classes just yet for him. He seems to be enjoying trying out various sports every few weeks. Next up, trampoline classes!

No comments: