Friday, May 4, 2012

Honeydew

Honeydew. Dr Honeydew.

We'll call her Honey, although we have been calling her Honeydew this afternoon. She is a Lab/Border Collie mix and she is two months old. She was put up for adoption this morning and we got SO lucky. Story below the pictures.


We had gone out to the humane society yesterday to see if they had any puppies. We found one that we liked and put a 24 hour hold on him. That way, we had 24 hours to really make sure we were ready for another dog and that this was the one we wanted. By this morning, we were convinced we wanted another dog but I was having second thoughts about the one we'd picked. His mix of breeds was unknown and that was making me uneasy. While mutts are fine and healthier, I like to know what I'm getting into in a fair amount of detail. We decided to head over anyway and see the puppy again to make a decision.

It just so happened that eight lab mixes had been put up for adoption just before we got there and two were available to be seen (labs puppies go so fast and yes, six had already been claimed in under one hour). We saw both lab mixes along with the dog we'd put the hold on yesterday. A decision had to be made. While the puppy we'd met yesterday was SO cute, I just couldn't pass up the opportunity to get a black lab like we'd wanted. While we were first on the list to adopt her (if we wanted), other people in line we allowed to visit with her while we made our decision. We decided that she was the dog for us, which meant I ended up taking the lab away from an older couple who wanted to adopt her. I felt kind of bad.

All in all, the whole process took two hours, at the end of which Aiden was having a grand meltdown because he was tired of having to wait so often (we'd go through a step, and then wait 15 minutes, another step, wait 20 minutes, etc). We stopped by John's work to show off the dog (I can't believe I did all this without him, although he had phone contact throughout it all) and then headed home with our new family member.

She has the most amazing personality! She's so sweet and playful, she loves Buster, and we've already had success with potty-ing in the correct spots. Buster seems a tad confused by this whole thing, but is running around with her and appears to really enjoy finally having a playmate. I'm sure it will take some adjusting back into the training a puppy mindset, but we are so happy that we found a lab puppy! If anyone feels like visiting the new puppy, please feel free!

No comments: