Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Happy Hanukkah!

Yep, a Hanukkah post!  As most of you are quite aware, we are not Jewish, but it appears we'll be celebrating Hanukkah anyway!  And if that seems a bit strange, let me explain.

Aiden is very, and I mean very interested in Hanukkah.  It started last year when he learned a bit about it at preschool, but his interest has really been taken up a notch this year.  We were at a store and they were told that they could each pick out something for a treat.  While Nathan chose candy, Aiden noticed a pack of dreidels.  He was adamant that it was what he wanted.  So we have dreidels and he loves to play.

Since Hanukkah begins tonight, Aiden has requested that we purchase a menorah.  Last I saw, they had some at Target (who knew?), so we'll be headed to Target in a little while to see if they still have them.

Aiden also has plans for Hanukkah food.  Over the course of the next eight days, we'll make challah, latkes, and sufganiyot.  I really need to do a little more research on Hanukkah food so we don't get tired of those three things!

Seeing as the boys will be getting gifts on Christmas, I'm not going to do a full gift for each night, but I am going to have some special candy on hand to give them each evening.

Aiden has been doing a great job learning about Hanukkah and it's encouraged us to learn along with him so we can have discussions.  While some might think buying a menorah, dreidels, making Jewish food, and essentially observing the holiday is a little strange for non-Jewish folk, I'm really trying to make learning about this interesting for him.  And besides, Jesus was Jewish.  I am no stranger to trying out different religious customs.  While I'm not Catholic, I went to a Catholic college and made sure to take part in the various customs and observances.  It was just another way to learn about it and what better way to learn than by doing?

We wish all of our Jewish friends a very Happy Hanukkah!

No comments: