Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Party Time!

For Aiden's birthday this year, we opted to go for separate friend and family parties.  We had them combined last year at our house and it was just a little too crazy.  For the friend party, we planned a Saturday afternoon at a local park with a covered picnic area.  About a week before the party, the weather report called for sun and 77 degrees.  As the week progressed however, it turned to rain and 61 degrees.  Thanks, Oregon.  I'll admit I checked the weather report every hour the day before the party.  It sounded like the rain wasn't supposed to start until later in the afternoon and the party was scheduled for 3pm, so we decided to keep the location and hope for the best.  It was by no means warm, but the rain held off until 5pm, right when everyone was heading to their cars.  How lucky is that??  Plus, we pretty much had the park to ourselves since rain had been called for that afternoon.

Still being somewhat sick, I kept things easy.  Some snacks, cupcakes, and no decorations except for a Star Wars tablecloth.  The kids didn't spend much time at the table anyway - just for singing Happy Birthday.  It was pretty relaxing.  The kids just ran around and played and the adults were able to chat as much as we wanted.  It was great to see friends from preschool (some of whom we hadn't seen all summer!), friends from church, and cousins. 


 Since it was a little windy and the park trash can was already overflowing, we opted to take the unopened presents home to open there.  Aiden was extremely excited to get home and see his gifts.  He LOVED each and every gift.  His friends really know what he likes!  Bugs, Transformers, Star Wars, and Legos!

 On Sunday, we had the family party.  Since we were staying home, I did a cake instead of cupcakes and used a few of Aiden's Star Wars Lego figures for cake toppers.  It was pretty funny, especially when I had to clean frosting off of all of them later that evening.









 Awesome presents on Sunday too!  There was a funny moment when Aiden received not one, but two copies of a Lego set that he had already.  He handled it very well though and requested to keep one of them, since the pilot for that set was lost.  And he gets to take the other one back to the store to pick out a new set that he doesn't have yet.  It all worked out just fine!  He also got a huge airplane, which we all got to see in action.  I may have to post a video that my brother-in-law took, during which Aiden nearly takes him out with the airplane.



We had so much fun this weekend and I'm so grateful for the compliments on putting together the parties even though I'm still fighting this horrible cold.  It's hard to believe our little guy is six years old now.  Thanks to everyone who was able to make it out to celebrate with us!

No comments: