Today, I went over expected behavior, I offered a treat if they could follow the expected behavior, AND I threatened discipline. They agreed to everything and they'd been pretty well behaved all day. I thought maybe we could actually get through the post office will no trouble. Nope. The very second we walked in, the bad behavior started. Not staying with me, potty talk, touching the garbage can, Nathan hit me, Nathan yelled at me.....and of course everyone is looking. Nathan has been a real trouble maker lately. I held onto him as he kicked and yelled, I kept my voice calm, and I reminded them of our agreement. We finally made it back out to the car and Nathan demands his treat. Excuse me? I tell him no and explain to both boys why they wouldn't be getting their treat. Aiden doesn't argue and agrees that they didn't behave. Nathan, however, begins throwing a massive screaming tantrum. I drive home with a screaming child (and we have no A/C in the car, so all my windows are down which means everyone we pass can hear him). I get him in the house and he continues. It went on for 45 minutes. Following through really sucks sometimes.
I'm part of a group of mommies whose children were born in January of 2008. Nearly every single mom who has a boy is dealing with the same behavior as I am. Why is three so stinking hard for boys? Aiden was the same way. No terrible two's here, but definitely tyrannical three's. I am so happy to know that it's not just my child and that I'm not the only mom wanting to just get past age three with my sanity intact.
So no more post office for us. I have been going often because I've been selling things on ebay and I need to ship things about once a week. I've ordered a postal scale and shipping labels so I can purchase postage online and then just drop my packages in a drive up drop box. Sometimes throwing in the towel and avoiding the bad behavior trigger is what needs to happen. At least until he's four.



1 comment:
Oh, Carrie!! I feel your pain - you know I do!! "Following through really sucks sometimes." YES. IT. DOES. (((HUGS))) We will make it to four. We will. Make it. To four! LOL!! Four has got to be better than three, right?!
Post a Comment