Friday, August 19, 2011

Decorating

We've been living in our home for one year and two months now. I've been working on some decorating ideas ever since we moved in, but deciding what I really want takes time. I finally had our bedroom plan down about six months ago, but we hadn't done much to make it happen - including finishing painting our bedroom from when we moved in (hey, I never said anything happened fast in this house). The colors were on the wall, but some edging needed to be finished and two walls needed one more coat.

One of my ideas for a wall in our room was a set of four "floating" shelves. I was just planning on buying them, but then John checked them out and decided they were too flimsy, so he insisted on making them. Not any cheaper, but they are very well done (much better than store bought) and it gave him a fun project to do. John drew up the design plans himself - a perk of being an engineer, I guess - we chose to make them out of hemlock, and picked out some black stain (the bedroom decor plan is black and white, with the color focus being the lavender paint with the dark purple accent wall). I was slightly afraid of it turning into another bunk bed project (1 year later....), but he got it done in a week. And we are quite happy with the outcome! Check out the pictures! (click to enlarge any of them)

The unfinished floating "boxes".

Staining.

Letting the stain set before applying the super glossy gloss.

Attaching the wall mounts. He attached a long piece to the wall that had a ridge on it, then built a groove into the inside of the shelf so that it essentially clicked onto the wall mounted piece. Easy and amazingly sturdy!

My black floating shelves! They gave more personality to the room immediately! Now I just need to find interesting little candle holders and whatnot to put on the shelves (what's there was just for the picture).

A big thanks to my wonderful husband for creating some very pretty shelves for me!

No comments: