The whole thing took about a half an hour and Aiden aced it. The only issue was that he was bored out of his mind. When she was asking him math questions (can you count this pile of plastic bunnies?), he started out counting normally and then began, well, enhancing things to make it interesting. He got to 10 and then started counting by 10s, and then started counting by 100's when he got to 100. The Principal was just sitting there with her eyes wide open as Aiden gets to 1000. So he showed that he doesn't always follow directions, but knows how to count in various ways. She told him good job for counting so well.
She asked him to find the title page in a book. He turns to it and then begins reading off the title, author, illustrator, publishing company, and the address to the publishing company. A little more than she asked for, but at least he was reading for her.
She placed a page of letters in front of him and asked him if he knew the letters. The child looks up at her with this look of "Are you serious?". He plops his head in his hand and starts reading them out in a monotone voice. When I say he was bored, I mean he was REALLY bored.
He was sent over to one of the teachers for a quick reading assessment and the Principal took that opportunity to tell me that he did really well and she can tell that he's been reading for quite some time. I'm very happy that he was able to go in there and answer everything. He only refused to do one thing at the very end and that was to write his last name. He's done it many times, so I'm not quite sure why he wouldn't. I think he was just at the end of what he could take.
As we were getting in the car, I asked him what he thought. He said, "It was pretty boring". I said, "Yes, I could tell that you were getting bored". Then he says, "See? I told you I don't need kindergarten".
To be honest, I agree with him. Intellectually, he doesn't need kindergarten. The other child in the room getting tested couldn't even point to his own name on a piece of paper. I am fully expecting this year to be full of frustration. But socially, he needs kindergarten. He needs to advance in his teamwork and social skills a little more. He needs to show that he can work with other people and not act like everyone else is an idiot (he can think it all he wants, but he shouldn't act like he thinks it!). Yesterday he told me that he doesn't think of himself as smart, he just thinks he's how everyone should be. Interesting point of view.
I think Aiden saw today's test as pointless. He knew everything and he was forcing himself to get through every miserable second of it. I'm glad he went through it and did it for me. Now they know what he can do. It will be interesting to see what happens from now on. After a few months, we may opt to have him tested to see if he qualifies for any advanced programs (if they all haven't been cut due to funding). It just depends on how bored he is.



2 comments:
Wow. I am *really* impressed - not only at his skills, but his way of thinking. I do believe you are right, though, that he'll need the social aspect of kindergarten. I hope the school is prepared for him as he will need extra help in the area of attitude and discipline! (Not saying he's bad, but when you're bored, you find "stuff" to do!) I hope that this school has special education for the brighter kids. Good luck. I'll be thinking about y'all often. Keep us updated! :o)
I thought about you guys all day. Glad it went well. I also want to commend you for realizing the importance of the social aspect of school. I think that is hard for parents - especially when you have a kid like Aiden who is so outstanding in many areas. Good work, mama, for knowing what is best for your kid. And remember that there is so much you can supplement at home or in extracurricular classes that he would love as well.
Post a Comment