Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Quitting = Less Free Time??

I was under the impression that once I quit my job, I'd have some extra time to blog and whatnot. Turns out I'm busier than I expected! I'm using all my "extra time" to catch up on the cluttered messes in my house that got pushed out of my mind due to work, and shockingly, spending time with my children.

When I quit last October, I felt a little lost and shut in. I have yet to experience that feeling again this time around. I have not missed working one bit and I'm able to focus on what I can do with the boys that day instead of how little time I have before it's time to head to work. I'm also really loving having weekends again. We bought a membership to OMSI, we've taken trips to the craft store, we've started decorating the boys room with a solar system theme (yes, the boys are helping!), and we're discovering fun movies that we like to watch over and over again (the current one is Despicable Me, which has been viewed probably 40 times since I bought it 2 weeks ago - we love it!!).

I'm enjoying feeling like my house is mine again. It no longer belongs to the junk that I didn't have the time or energy to deal with before. We're clearing things out and simplifying rooms. I finally have the mental capacity to know how I want each room to look - almost a year after moving in. The organization isn't done yet, but the process keeps getting smoother and smoother.

John keeps asking if I feel shut in and lonely yet. But I really don't. Some days I am quite ready for the boys to go to bed, but that's a normal mom feeling. I honestly feel happier and more connected to my family. I know I'll get to the point where I need some actual adult mental stimulation, but that's where school comes in this fall. For now though, I am looking forward to a free and clear summer where I can focus on family. Swim classes and science camps for the boys, watching my sister-in-law get married, and planning an early October family trip to Disneyland. Life is very good right now. And I'm sure I'll find some time to blog. :^)

No comments: