Saturday, May 28, 2011

The Dentist

Today Aiden had his first dentist appointment in 2 years. We had been putting it off because when we first took him when he was 3, he completely freaked out. Terrified, couldn't even get him to sit in the chair, the dentist only did a quick visual exam while Aiden was screaming in my lap, and then we left as quickly as possible. Needless to say, we hadn't been very excited to take him back. But since I'd been feeling a massive amount of guilt over him not having a dental exam in over 2 years, I made another appointment.

We talked about the appointment every day for almost a week, we read the Little Critter book "At the Dentist", we promised him ice cream if he did a really good job. He alternated between seeming excited and scared, but by the time the appointment came around this afternoon, he was totally calm. He sat well for the x-rays, he opened wide to get his teeth cleaned - although he was not a fan of the flavor they used. He told the hygienist, "Well, I think it's pretty gross." He really did quite amazing and better than some adults! Thank goodness too, because Nathan watched the whole thing in order to prepare him for his appointment next Tuesday! I don't think Nathan would be so relaxed about the idea of having an appointment if Aiden had flipped out again. We scheduled everyone for dental appointments and then un-did the whole cleaning Aiden had just had by heading to Baskin Robbins. But oh it was yummy!

One funny thing that I do have to mention is that Aiden is VERY literal. We had been reading that Little Critter book about going to the dentist, and obviously, all the characters are animals - critters, if you will. On our way to the dentist, Aiden was going over what happens in the book and asking if that would happen to him too. The answer was always yes. Then Aiden asked, "Will the dentist be a rabbit?". I really don't know how much I'd enjoy a person sized rabbit giving me my dental exam.... :^)

No comments: