Friday, July 2, 2010

The Minthornes Buy Their Dream House

In case you didn't get it, the title was a play on Mr Blandings Builds His Dream House (Cary Grant and Myrna Loy, 1948), which we actually ended up watching with my dad on our first night in our new house. It's one of my favorite Cary Grant movies and it was fun to have it be our first movie here at home.

It seems weird to call this our dream house (that seems like something you go for later in life), but I will say that for our first purchase, it has everything that we need. It's really working out perfectly and there hasn't been a moment of buyer's remorse.

I've been getting requests from many people for pictures of the place and so I thought instead of overwhelming you all, we'd take it one room at a time, as I get around to gathering the pictures. There are still a few rooms that need finishing touches and I'm waiting to take the "final" photos there until they're completed. So the room for today: The Master Bedroom. Click on any photo to enlarge.

This was how it looked on the day we decided to put an offer in. Burnt orange. Hmm.

This is my dad on moving day, helping to get rid of the burnt orange.

And this is the completed room (except for paint touch-up at the corners and I still need to put the curtains up). Can you believe John OK'd purple? :^) He agreed that it looked a little girly, but we both think the room turned out to be quite relaxing.

Sorry for the odd angle on this picture. This is my side of the master closet. We really like having a window in the middle (it even opens!). It really brightens up the master bathroom (the closet is off the bathroom).
And that's what I have for you today, although I really should take another picture of the master bedroom from another angle to give you the full idea of what the other side of the room looks like. For next time, the Master Bathroom (and maybe that 2nd bedroom picture).

No comments: