John and I had a date planned for Friday evening, but on Friday morning we still had no idea what on earth we wanted to do. John left for work and I tried desperately to think of something more exciting than dinner and a movie. After a few hours a random thought came to me: "I wonder if there's a hockey game tonight?". And what do you know, there was! The Portland Winterhawks were playing the Seattle Thunderbirds and it sounded like a wonderful idea. I promptly bought the tickets and made sure I got us as close as possible.
Later that afternoon, we got a phone call from John's aunt Lorna asking if we would like to attend a George Fox Alumni awards ceremony for John's grandpa Verne the next morning. Uncle Price had gotten sick and cousin Josiah had offered to watch the boys and give up his ticket. This was a great surprise and also meant that we didn't have to go back to John's parents to pick up sleeping boys after the hockey game - they could just stay the night and Josiah would watch them there in the morning.
The hockey game was amazing and I had forgotten how much I loved getting into the action. I used to go to hockey games about once a month (sometimes more) in high school and have missed it greatly. We were about 15 rows up from the ice and we felt like we had a great view (except for one corner, but that's what the big screen is for). It was John's first hockey game and I think he really enjoyed himself, partially because he was amused by his tiny ballerina wife yelling and screaming over a hockey game.
Oh yes, I almost forgot. We ended up taking our seats at the game right at 7:30pm (start time), which I don't like to do. I prefer to have at least a few minutes to relax and maybe grab a drink before it starts. But why we were later than planned was worth it. Right as John was running out the door to get home in time, his boss called him into his office saying that he needed to speak with him immediately. You have to imagine that John was a little worried over this. But as it turns out, his boss gave him an impromptu review and a raise! The raise is fantastic and his boss said that it's the highest raise percentage that anyone in the company will receive all year. He also added that he thought John was worth much more. :^) A good start to the weekend, I think!
On Saturday morning, we headed out to George Fox for the ceremony and as it turns out, an old family friend, Dan Nolta, was receiving an award as well. His wife Judi was there and she was my mentor in high school, so it was a wonderful treat to see her again. I could go into a long story about the ceremony, but a lot of you reading this were there, so I'll just say that it was a good thing I happened to have tissues in my purse. I am extremely blessed to be a part of this family and I am so thankful that John and I were able to be there.
The rest of Saturday was less than exciting; John had to go to work for a few hours and only came home about five minutes before I needed to leave for work myself. I was at work for just two hours before they asked if anyone wanted to go home (it was too slow to keep everyone on) and I took the opportunity since my knee is still bothering me quite a bit.
Sunday was the Superbowl and we hung out at home with plenty of snacks. John cheered on the New Orleans Saints while I rooted for the Indianapolis Colts. Sadly, my losing streak with Superbowls is still in full effect and the Colts lost. It was not cool to see Peyton Manning (Colts Quarterback) cry when he realized they could not comeback from the interception mistake, but I know that the city of New Orleans was bursting with joy over their Saints winning and I got a little teary over their award speech.
And now we're back to the weekly grind, but there's still plenty to talk about. But I'll save it for another time since my laptop battery is ready to give out.
Quick & Easy Peanut Butter Protein Balls
3 days ago



No comments:
Post a Comment