Monday, January 11, 2010

Very, very sick

About a week ago, Aiden became sick at church while my dad was in town. He was a little mopey and tired for the day, but was otherwise fine so we shrugged it off as just an upset tummy. On Tuesday when I went in to get my knee checked, they talked me into a flu shot. Even though I'm in a high risk category due to my asthma, I tend to avoid flu shots unless I'm pregnant (no, I'm not pregnant). I just always end up getting a horrible flu whenever I get the shot.

I woke up Friday vomiting and so dizzy, I felt like I was on a crab boat in Alaska. Nathan ended up vomiting later that night, so there were two of us. Nathan seemed to get the rough end of things and I appeared to recover relatively quickly (don't think I didn't blame the flu shot during the whole thing though!). We all stayed home from activities we'd planned on over the weekend just to make sure, but I felt well enough last night to make a quick store trip. I didn't pick up anymore ginger ale and saltines though and it turns out that I probably should have.

John began feeling sick around midnight and we both figured it was the same mild thing that Aiden and I had gotten. Until I woke up at 1:30am vomiting so violently, I was pretty sure something was severely wrong with me. John and I didn't sleep all night. We just kept trading off trips to the bathroom. Around 6am, I considered heading to the ER as I would begin another round of violent vomiting as soon as I took a small sip of water or a tiny nibble of a cracker. John finally fell asleep not long after 6am and I finally fell asleep around 9am.

The vomiting seems to have tapered off a bit, but all of my insides hurt and I'm pretty sure I've lost about 10 pounds overnight. It looks like we may have picked up the norovirus somewhere. Aiden missed his 2nd day of school, but he has shown no other signs of being sick. We are just too sick to get him there.

I guess since I'm taking two weeks off of work for my knee, it ended up hitting at an ok time for me, but John is on his 2nd day off from work since he took Friday off to take care of me.

A friend of John's graciously took time out of her day to bring us plenty of sick supplies just a little while ago. It feels good to know that people are willing to take care of each other just because. :^)

2 comments:

Carrie said...

Hope you all start feeling better soon- how miserable! :(

Bethany said...

Terrible! We had that back in November. Horrible. No good. I'm EXTREMELY empathetic right now. I hope you all feel better soon!