Monday, May 25, 2009

Aiden's Graduation

The customary preschool porcelain handprint.

Aiden's graduation day wasn't quite how we envisioned it, but it certainly gave us some memories. The teacher played Pomp and Circumstance and they had little graduation caps that they'd made and they all sat in a row and received, one by one, they're yearbooks and official school t-shirts. That is, all except our little Aiden. When all the parents came in and starting clapping, he burst into tears and ran into the corner. Massive stage fright. He refused to come back and ended up calming himself with a toy train in the corner during the entire ceremony. So we have video and we have pictures with all the kids lined up, but he's not there among them.
I still love the video though - all the kids were asked what they wanted to be when they grew up and there were some cute answers: "A mommy", "A fireman", "A doctor and an ambulance driver" (from the same girl - she wants it all!). But my favorite was from a little boy named Ben. When asked what he wanted to be when he grew up, he very seriously answered, "A cow". I have it all on video! I may have to figure out how to upload it for you all to see.

Once all the kids had been "graduated", Aiden's teacher tried to get him to come back over before she finished up the ceremony. He said, "No, I'm playing with trains". She asked him what he wanted to be when he grew up and he answers, "I'm so funny!!". Of course, everyone started laughing, so his belief in his humor was confirmed.

All the families shared some great snacks and we all danced the "freeze dance" together. I wanted to get a picture of Aiden and his teacher, so I had them both sit together. All of a sudden, Aiden grabs his teacher's face with both hands, mashes her cheeks together and gives her a huge kiss! I didn't get a picture of it in time, but it was very adorable. His teacher was a little confused when he suddenly mashed her face together, but she thought it was cute and said that he'd never done that before. I almost wonder if he has a little crush on her....

It was sad leaving school for the last time until fall. I hope he handles the summer OK. Here are just a few pictures from graduation day.

This is the top of Aiden's graduation cap, which he painted himself.

He was a little antsy and didn't want to sit still, but here he is wearing his cap.

Here is Aiden and Teacher Casey. He is very pleased with getting to sit on her lap! He called her Laura for a few months. I think he thought she looked a bit like his Aunt Laura.
And here are the children, receiving their yearbooks and t-shirts. The empty chair towards the left of the photo was where Aiden should have been sitting.

I do have Aiden's school photo and class photo to share with all of you (some of you received a copy around Christmas), but I still need to scan them into the computer. I have the next few days off from work, so hopefully it will get on here within the next day or two.

No comments: