We've ended up with some strange, very winter-y weather here. Early Sunday morning, it snowed. Not too weird and the news had been talking about it for nearly a week, so it was expected. But everything froze, too. Our church services and afternoon activities were canceled, since it wasn't safe to drive. As the day progressed, it kept snowing and the wind was howling along, causing blizzard conditions throughout the day (Portland?). Aiden wanted so badly to go outside and kept talking about snowmen since the moment he looked out the window, so we bundled the kiddos up and went outside. Nathan handled it for about 3 minutes before he began screaming and I had to bring him in. It was so blustery out there, that we were able to take exactly three pictures before our camera was covered in snow. Not wanting to completely ruin our digital camera, we put it away. I wanted to take some video of Aiden playing in the snow, but had to do so from our living room windows. He was out there for about an hour and when John finally decided he couldn't take anymore, he had to carry Aiden kicking and screaming back inside.
We got the information that the Beaverton School District had canceled classes for Monday, so that meant Aiden's private preschool would be closed. He had his first snow day! However, he enjoys school so much, he wasn't very pleased. He would frown and say, "No school tomoyo" (his version of "tomorrow").
Overnight, it all froze again. We'd ended up with some moisture in our windows, so I went around to wipe them down. I went into the boys room to find that the moisture was ice. INSIDE our windows! Completely frozen. (Have we ended up in Canada?) It made me think of winters in Philadelphia, but was informed by some of my Philadelphia friends that it was in fact 66 degrees there and one of my friends was warm enough that she needed to open her house's windows. While I sat in Oregon, heaters blowing, clutching my hot cider, wearing two pairs of socks WITH fuzzy slippers, jeans with fuzzy PJ pants over them, and four layers of long sleeved shirts. And I was still cold.
It's continued to be pretty much just as cold, though it has warmed to nearly 30 today. The roads are basically clear for now and so John and I will be taking to boys on a trip to the store this evening in an attempt to avoid cabin fever. We need to take the opportunity while it's available, as our next snow storm is supposed to start around 7am tomorrow morning. Snow, then freezing rain, which will turn to ice on contact since it will be below freezing, and then snow some more through Thursday. We're supposed to get a short break until Sunday, when it's all supposed to start again and continue at least through Monday. Isn't this Minnesota weather??
It looks like Aiden will most likely get another snow day tomorrow, which means he just got an extra week for his Christmas break! He won't return to school again until January 7.
For now, we are just attempting to stay warm. The boys and I are wearing multiple layers throughout the day, even with our heaters going. I had to pin up a thick blanket to cover the boys' bedroom window to try to keep the heat in and the cold out. I checked behind the blanket this morning and the inside of their window was completely covered with ice AND frost. But they did sleep much better last night after we ran their heater for a while, so I think they were finally able to get warm.
We may have a white Christmas, but at that point, I don't know if it will be wanted!



No comments:
Post a Comment