Once the bacon and bagels that John had brought back from the continental breakfast had worn off, we decided to find some lunch and something to do for the afternoon. The tourist book in our room mentioned a flea market in San Jose that featured 800 vendors, so we decided to check that out.
We got there around 1pm and quickly found a food vendor. I had a HUGE chili dog. It was very sunny, but very windy and we had trouble keeping Nathan covered from the sun. He was a great sport though. The sun was in his face at point and he began to cry. We were passing by these two hispanic ladies and one said, "Oh, don't cry baby. You'll make my milk come in."! John thought that was a little strange. I guess it is an odd thing to say out loud, but all I could think was that maybe she was having a little time away from her baby and Nathan was about to make her need to run home and nurse.
Nathan being very cute at the flea market.
Because it wasn't a weekend, only about half the vendors were there and most of them consisted of clothes and toys. I was a little disappointed for John - I was hoping he would find something cool and nerdy for himself. I, however, found a $65 pair of jeans for $10. We noticed that the toy vendors had a lot of Disney things.....or so we thought. As we got closer, we realized that the Winnie the Pooh backpack we thought Aiden would like was not Winnie the Pooh. It was "Hunny Bear". And the Finding Nemo fishing game was just "Fish Game". Hmmm....no copyright violations there....
We stayed for a little over an hour and then decided to find a Macy's so we could finally purchase Caleb and Candy's wedding gift. We headed towards Palo Alto for the Stanford Shopping Center. As we were leaving San Jose, John noticed a McDonalds and made a very quick U-Turn. You see, we both became slightly addicted to their new Sweet Tea. We hadn't seen it advertised here in Oregon, so we when got down to California, we had to try it out. It's a little too good.
Anyway, we got to the Stanford Shopping Center and realized that this was a shopping center geared towards the....let's say, "wallet heavy". The stores consisted of Cartier, Tiffany's, Burberry, Coach, Armani, BCBG, Godiva, Louis Vuitton....you get the idea. We had a lot of fun browsing and even had a security guard following us around while browsing in Cartier! We bought Candy and Caleb's gift (a very nice stainless steel microwave), had some pastries at La Baguette, and then loaded up on chocolates at See's Candies. We also bought Aiden and Nathan matching Stanford t-shirts (I'll post some photos of them together soon).
We finally decided to head back to the hotel. Caleb and Candy had some obligations that evening, so they weren't able to meet up with us. So we grabbed some Subway for dinner and then spent the rest of the evening lounging around, watching more TV. It was nice to have a slow day. The remainder of the trip would prove to be very full.



1 comment:
I've totally been to that shopping center in Palo Alto! I went with a bunch of people from a camp I was working at. We definitely stuck out like a sore thumb in our Old Navy flip-flops, t-shirts and general scruffyness. It's a fun place to go and window shop though. Oh the life styles of the rich and famous ;)
Post a Comment