We didn't have anything planned over Memorial Day weekend, and Aiden didn't have school on Friday so John decided to take Friday off of work. Four day weekend! While our goal was mainly to relax as a family and gets LOTS of sleep, we wanted to take care of some of the big things on the Honey-Do list.
First up: Our veggie and herb garden. We ended up with $150 worth of organic veggie and herb starts from Nathan's school fundraiser and needed a place to put them. Our backyard is all rock out of necessity (too much drainage and erosion), so the only place to plant is the front yard. The very tiny front yard. We've spent quite a bit of time clearing away the overgrown plants and finally ended up with a cleared space to make a raised bed. Along with an additional planter box John made and some extra black pots, we have a sizable garden growing for the summer. If all goes/grows well, we will not be lacking in any type of veggie or herb. We've already put our chives to good use! If you've never tried mixing chives, crumbled up bacon, and sour cream into your mashed potatoes, you should try it. It's so good and much faster than baked potatoes!
Next on our list was hiring a contractor to repaint the trim on the house. It looks awful (you can see a little of the peeling at the bottom of the column in the picture above) and we were worried that the HOA was going to start fining us for having such dilapidated paint. After getting a bid of $1800 from one company (NO thank you!), we finally ended up with a reasonable bid from another company that was well under $1000. Whew! I thought we were going to have to climb up on the roof and do the dangerous work by ourselves. It won't happen until mid-summer, but at least the contract is signed and the plans are in place. And no, I didn't take a picture of the contractor for blog continuity.
Next up: A drying rack for the laundry room. I had asked John to build me a pull-out drying rack back in January and he had gotten started on it then. And then it sat half-finished in our garage until this weekend. But it's finally done and I love it! It simply leans out from the base attached to the wall whenever I need to dry something and then when I'm done, it hooks back up flat against the wall and out of the way. Yay! No more hanging things in my shower to dry!
I've also done a little repainting in the kitchen and we've continued our backyard makeover over the past few weeks, but I'll save those for another time. It feels good to get things done!





No comments:
Post a Comment