Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Feeling Loved

I probably don't have the typical female mindset towards Valentine's Day. Believe me, I used to think that I needed all the cute stuffed bears, loads o candy, and jewelry galore to make the day special. But seeing as now I'm a busy mom and my husband is a very down to earth person (he'd rather buy jewelry because HE wants to, not because a holiday says you should), I've realized that I don't really want those things. Instead, I got something that I really wanted (and is useful for everyone in the family) and I ended the day feeling a renewed sense of closeness to my husband.

Instead of exchanging a bunch of expensive gifts (do we really need a 2nd Christmas?), John built a wall mounted coat/backpack rack for our entry. I've been wanting one since we moved in and now we're able to get everyone's backpacks off the floor of the coat closet. I bought him one of the books that the HBO series The Pacific (stories of the 1st Marine Division during battles with Japan) was based off of: Helmet for My Pillow by Robert Leckie. I'd read it previously and knew he'd enjoy it, and it's a piece of history to get the mind thinking.

Instead of sitting in a crowded restaurant for the evening, I made us a special dinner for after the kids went to bed. We enjoyed a very yummy slow cooker roast and spinach salad by candlelight - ALONE. I much preferred this over a restaurant. It was quiet and we could talk freely about anything that had been on our minds. Since we don't see much of each other during the week due to his schedule, it was nice to finally spend some time alone and discuss how we're feeling. I don't know about John, but I went to bed last night feeling relaxed and renewed in our relationship. And seeing as the past six weeks have been some of the most stressful we've experienced, it was good to remember what feeling that connection with the person you love is like.

It was our 10th Valentine's Day together and I have to say that it was my favorite so far. Thanks for a wonderfully quiet and relaxing evening, honey!

No comments: