Friday, January 21, 2011

Massive Miscommunication!

While I love having a cell phone and being able to call my husband whenever I need to, technology can still be a bit spotty and cause huge problems for unsuspecting people. Damage control was not part of my plan this afternoon. Here's the story:

We had this month's fellowship dinner with some other families/couples from our church this evening, so I called John while I was out running errands to see if it would be easier on him if I picked him up, rather than him driving home and us possibly being late. I start the call with, "This evening, do you..." and then the call was dropped. What John heard was, "I'm leaving you" and me hanging up on him. Obviously, we had some coverage issues with that call. Unfortunately, I didn't know that John had completely misheard, so I'm just thinking, "Bummer - dropped call. I'll try him later".

About 10 minutes later, my phone rings and it's John. I answer and he asks (in a very panicked voice), "What are you doing??".
"Um, I'm driving", I say.
"Where??"
"To the library....is that a problem?"
"You need to come talk to me NOW."
"Um, ok....I'll be there in a few minutes."

So I head over to John's work, feeling totally confused about why he's freaking out, when suddenly it hits me. Somehow I realized what he must have heard and.....I start laughing. What a horrible thing, but darn it, it was funny.

I get to John's work and he hops in the car, shaking, eyes wide as can be. I tell him, "Before you say anything, here's what I think happened..." and I repeat the whole thing from my side. It took me a good five minutes to convince him that I had never actually said that I was leaving him and I was really just headed to the library and grocery store.

I've still been laughing about it all day (I mean, who on earth would have thought spotty coverage and a dropped call would cause so much trouble??) and we certainly had the best story of the night at the fellowship dinner. John hasn't found the humor in it yet, but he is the one who thought his marriage was over for 20 minutes this afternoon, so I suppose I can let him work out the rest of the panic.

No comments: