Monday, December 13, 2010

Latkes

Last week, Aiden's class learned about Hannukah. He actually remembered everything from the year before (he still has his dreidel), but this year he developed an interest in latkes. Not being at all Jewish, I had no idea how to go about making them, but promised him that sometime for dinner, I would make him some latkes. I found a recipe that sounded fairly easy and had some alternate suggestions for serving, so I finally bought some fresh potatoes and gave it a try.

It was quite easy and very potato-y. Having been told that they were "potato pancakes", I assumed they'd look like pancakes. Turns out they look a bit more like hash browns, unless you do something different to them to turn them into pancakes.

Anything fried in oil is my friend. And yes, I have had my cholesterol levels checked.

Here's the finished product. They were yummy and very filling. Traditionally, they're served with sour cream and applesauce, but I used a non-Kosher serving suggestion and served them with ham, cheese, and a fried egg.

If anyone is interested in exploring how to make and serve latkes (Aiden and Nathan think figuring out these traditional Jewish foods is pretty fun so maybe other kids would too), here's the website I used for the recipe: http://ridgewood.patch.com/articles/not-your-grandmothers-latkes-8-ways-to-serve-11
I think our next food adventure will be discovering how to make challah bread. I was introduced to it in college (John had a few Jewish roommates) and it was quite delicious. I've actually missed it since we moved back from Philadelphia. Yummy!

No comments: