Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Oy

I had heard from multiple sources that buying a home is one of the most stressful things you'll ever do. And I believed that it would be stressful, especially after what we've gone through to just find a home. But really....I was calmer at the prospect of giving birth than I am over this!

Certainly there's the whole fact that it will be OURS, our responsibility, our debt, our life. I mean, this is HUGE. But it's the transition that's getting to me. I am trying to pack as much as I can with two little kids running around and it's difficult. What's making it even more difficult is that Aiden has decided that he is not moving. He insists he doesn't like the house (although he sure likes it whenever we're in it!) and that he's staying here. Or maybe he's moving into the apartment downstairs and those people can move into our new house instead. For whatever reason, he's really opposed to the thought of moving. And I guess I understand. He's at that age where any change is scary and he's beginning to develop more fears. I just wish I could help him process it a little better.

Today though, the top really blew. We had brought many more boxes in on Sunday and some yesterday, so our whole living room is filled with empty boxes. I really needed to work on packing some things today, so I set the boys up with train tracks and I got to work. Aiden noticed me packing up some kitchen things and taking down pictures from the walls and he FLIPPED. Screaming, yelling, threatening, he even started hitting and kicking. I tried so many times to get him to talk through what he was feeling and he was having none of it. He ended up being punished a few times for freaking out more and more, because he certainly needs to understand that he can't behave that way, but it was hard to do because I know it's stemming from fear and stress from the situation.

So bottom line is that he's struggling with this big time. I'm struggling big time because of his struggling. Today was horrible and felt never ending. Even after I stopped packing things, he continued to lash out through the end of the day. This is supposed to be a good thing for our family and any excitement that I should be feeling over this home is overshadowed by my four year old apparently needing therapy because we're putting him through this move. Does anyone have a time machine to push us forward 2-3 weeks?

No comments: