Monday, November 3, 2008

Breastfeeding and today's culture

This is a bit of a small vent, even though it's something that doesn't actually apply to my current situation.

For a bit of a backstory, John and I are on opposite ends of weight issues. He's trying to lose, I'm trying to gain. So for some support and ideas on how to work together without sabotaging each other, I posted on a weight issues board. In my post, I mentioned having Aiden three years ago and that I was currently breastfeeding, but forgot to mention Nathan. I was immediately flooded with responses to my weight issues post, but none of them were in response to my actual issue. They were all regarding me breastfeeding a three year old (which I'm not, but I can't blame them for jumping to that conclusion). Like I said, I was flooded with responses telling me that I was "disgusting", "gross", "a weirdo", and "to put the boob away already".

Now, I know that I'm not actually breastfeeding a three year old, but it was still a bit appalling to me. Are people so concerned with what is perceived as culturally normal that a child's nutrition goes out the window? While I personally wouldn't breastfeed a three year old, I know that there are plenty of people who do it and that is their decision. Who are we to tell them that's not ok?

I posted again as that site doesn't let you edit your initial post and explained that I actually had a 9 month old that I was breastfeeding and that my three year old had been weaned for quite some time. I restrained myself from giving them the verbal lashing I felt like typing out. If people prefer to go around being judgemental and ignorant, then I can't stop them, but I can correct them when they jump to the wrong conclusion.

And just for an idea as to how the responses to my post turned out, only three out of 25 posts were actually in response to the weight issue. For a place where I thought I could find support for my husband and I, it turned out to be a real bust. I will not be returning to that board.

1 comment:

Tex said...

I support extended breastfeeding. I wouldn't have any problem with a woman breast feeding her 3 year old. I have some pretty strong feelings about the woman that still breast feeds her eight year old, but that has less to do with the fact that she's feeding her and more with other issues I had with her video. I'm sorry you got jumped on. I hate when people attack someone else.