Friday, July 31, 2009

Potty!

We can proudly say that tomorrow we will begin day 5 of Aiden being potty trained during the day (minus one small accident - :^)). This has been a LONG time coming and we're so happy!

We knew to begin with that boys take about twice as long as girls do to potty train, but Aiden was a difficult case. He really never showed any interest whatsoever. But even with his lack of interest, we were doing fairly well and were almost to this point in March, but then John got laid off and everything fell apart. My hours immediately skyrocketed to nearly 40 each week and the potty training got shoved to the side....back in diapers he went!

But I knew that once I started this new job and I'd be home a little more, I'd get him right back into it. And it has been a great week! We woke up on Tuesday and I put him right into regular underpants and told him that we don't go pee and poo in regular underpants like we do in diapers. I spent the rest of the day asking him if he needed to go potty and he would either say "no" or "yes" and when he said yes, he would go successfully. He's even started going in and sitting on the potty without any prompting from me. We've done that every day so far and we only had the one accident this evening when he went to go play outside and forgot to tell me that he had to go.

I cannot tell you how happy and relieved I am that we have finally gotten to this point! I was beginning to feel like he'd be in college and still in diapers. It was causing a bit of stress because he's supposed to be mostly potty trained by the time school starts in one month and I thought there was no way that was going to happen - but he's proving me wrong! :^)

Of course maybe all he needed was for me to go out and spend $$ on a potty training book and then stock up on boxes of pull-ups. No joke, I just bought two huge boxes of pull-ups on Saturday because they were marked down to $16 and I figured that we'd use them, so I might as well buy them. We haven't used any since Monday! Go Aiden!!

No comments: