Every now and then, I like to get together with my friend Misty to have some people time away from the apartment. We haven't gotten together since I was 36 weeks pregnant and I was beginning to go crazy, so we planned a day out with our kids. She has two girls, Chloe (almost 5) and Amity (6 weeks younger than Aiden). I found out that the zoo has $2 Tuesdays on every 2nd Tuesday of the month and it just so happened that we had Mommy and Me that day, so we planned on a zoo trip after group. The weather was OK, mostly cloudy with a few light showers here and there. We picked up deli food at Safeway and headed to the zoo. It was my first major outing with the boys without John there to help, so I knew it was going to be interesting.
We wanted to have lunch as soon as we got there, so we found a place to sit. Nathan started crying right away (a good sign for the day...) and so I had to nurse him first thing. Everyone was done eating by the time I was able to take a bite of my food. Aiden had dropped some bread on the ground and we were soon joined by four peacocks! They were so close to us and Aiden attempted to pet one, but I grabbed him away before he could risk getting bitten. Nathan wasn't liking the Snugli carrier, so Aiden ended up sharing the stroller with Amity and Chloe so I could put Nathan in our stroller. And off we went to look at animals....
The walk around the zoo was fairly uneventful. We saw an elephant "dancing" (the only way to describe what he was doing) and one of the female elephants was pregnant. She was in month 17 out of 22 (how does that sound right now, Bethany? :^)). We also saw the most horrible woman. She was screaming at her children and calling them names! I wanted to go tell her that if you call your children "stupid monkeys", they probably won't act much different. Everyone in the area was staring at her and talking about her very vocally, but she didn't seem to notice. Sometimes I feel bad about my parenting, but at least I never act like that. Disgusting.
After diaper changes, we headed out. We got to our cars to find that Misty's car had been broken into. We were parked right next to each other, so I was a little surprised that they hadn't broken into mine as well. Chloe had left her little kids purse on the back seat and apparently that's what the criminals saw. Misty had also left her purse in the car, hidden under a seat, but she had taken her wallet in with her. I had almost made the decision to leave my purse in my car as well and I am so relieved that I didn't. The thing is, Misty's car is high up off the ground and her windows are tinted. These people had to have been going around, peeking in car windows looking for something to steal. There's no way they would have just noticed the kids purse in passing. So, Misty's window was broken out completely and there was glass all over inside her car. We had to wait for zoo security and the police. So of course it begins to pour rain and start hailing! By the time everything was all taken care of and Misty could leave, we were soaking wet. It was time to go get John from work at that point and I had to attempt to navigate Hwy 26 during rush hour, in a hail storm. I couldn't even see the lanes on the road. But we made it to Intel in one piece.
It was a fun day, despite the stolen purses and a busted out window. I've included a few pictures of our day.
We wanted to have lunch as soon as we got there, so we found a place to sit. Nathan started crying right away (a good sign for the day...) and so I had to nurse him first thing. Everyone was done eating by the time I was able to take a bite of my food. Aiden had dropped some bread on the ground and we were soon joined by four peacocks! They were so close to us and Aiden attempted to pet one, but I grabbed him away before he could risk getting bitten. Nathan wasn't liking the Snugli carrier, so Aiden ended up sharing the stroller with Amity and Chloe so I could put Nathan in our stroller. And off we went to look at animals....
The walk around the zoo was fairly uneventful. We saw an elephant "dancing" (the only way to describe what he was doing) and one of the female elephants was pregnant. She was in month 17 out of 22 (how does that sound right now, Bethany? :^)). We also saw the most horrible woman. She was screaming at her children and calling them names! I wanted to go tell her that if you call your children "stupid monkeys", they probably won't act much different. Everyone in the area was staring at her and talking about her very vocally, but she didn't seem to notice. Sometimes I feel bad about my parenting, but at least I never act like that. Disgusting.
After diaper changes, we headed out. We got to our cars to find that Misty's car had been broken into. We were parked right next to each other, so I was a little surprised that they hadn't broken into mine as well. Chloe had left her little kids purse on the back seat and apparently that's what the criminals saw. Misty had also left her purse in the car, hidden under a seat, but she had taken her wallet in with her. I had almost made the decision to leave my purse in my car as well and I am so relieved that I didn't. The thing is, Misty's car is high up off the ground and her windows are tinted. These people had to have been going around, peeking in car windows looking for something to steal. There's no way they would have just noticed the kids purse in passing. So, Misty's window was broken out completely and there was glass all over inside her car. We had to wait for zoo security and the police. So of course it begins to pour rain and start hailing! By the time everything was all taken care of and Misty could leave, we were soaking wet. It was time to go get John from work at that point and I had to attempt to navigate Hwy 26 during rush hour, in a hail storm. I couldn't even see the lanes on the road. But we made it to Intel in one piece.
It was a fun day, despite the stolen purses and a busted out window. I've included a few pictures of our day.



1 comment:
I'm glad you were able to have a fun day in spite of the "exciting" elements of it.
On a humorous note, Seth emailed me a couple months back with a "thought of the day." It went something like this: "At least you're not an elephant... they are pregnant for 22 months and give birth to 120 pounders!"
Post a Comment