Friday, March 6, 2015

Disney: Day 1

The next morning, we woke up early to head over to the Disneyland Hotel for our breakfast reservations. The boys had no idea we had reservations for a character breakfast, so you can imagine the excitement when we walk in to Goofy's Kitchen and there's Goofy.

We had never done any character dining before. I think it was super fun, and I liked that it wasn't rushed or crowded. The downside is that you really pay for that relaxed time with the characters. And Disney doesn't tell you how much it's going to be until you get there. Holy dollar signs, batman. I had some idea as to how much it would be, but oy. However, I don't regret doing it and I'm glad we were able to give the kids that experience.
 Aiden is in his "I'm too cool for smiling" phase. Nathan, however, exudes joy in every single photo. 

After breakfast, we were just in time for the gates to open at California Adventure. Getting through the gates is a slower experience than it used to be because they take your picture if you're going through for the first time of your visit. Then when they scan your ticket any time after that, your name and picture pops up on a little screen so they can make sure no one else is using your ticket. It's interesting, but does take up more time.


We were surprised to find that 30 minutes after opening, all of the Fast Passes for the new Radiator Springs Racers were totally gone. Hmm. We decided to wait on that one and hit up Bug's Land first. Nathan had been too small for a lot of rides last time we were there, so it was fun to not have to worry about that this time around. Really, the boys are the perfect ages for Disney.

After that, John wanted to check wait time for Tower of Terror. Aiden had been boasting about how he was "extreme" and would do any "extreme" ride, but as soon as he saw it, he proclaimed that he would not be riding it. But Nathan happily said he would join John, much to the surprise of all of us. I was happy to get out of going on it (I have never been on it and never want to go on it), so I sat with Aiden while John took Nathan on the ride. I was SO nervous about Nathan going on it. Once they were off, Nathan said it was "awesome" but that he would not go on it again. Apparently he had cried as they were going through the more environmental haunted/ghost stuff and that's what nixed any future trips on it for him. John said the picture that is taken during the ride was hilarious because Nathan had gone to his happy place and looked like he was sleeping peacefully as they dropped to their doom.

We did get to Radiator Springs Racers (SUPER FUN!), which ended up being the longest ride wait time of the whole trip at 45 minutes. We never had to wait more than 30 minutes for any ride, and most were at 15-20 minutes of wait time. There's something to be said for going in the off season, even though quite a few rides are closed for repair.

Even though Aiden had refused to go on Tower of Terror, he did go on California Screamin' with John, which turned out to be a bad idea. He went silent and pale and then refused to go on any roller coasters the next day. And by refused, I mean started screaming and crying when we tried to go on Big Thunder Mountain. We did get through the rest of the first day before he freaked out over roller coasters though. Nathan and I relaxed on King Triton's Carousel while John and Aiden had the living daylights scared out of them on California Screamin'.

We had never been on the big Mickey ferris wheel, so that was our next stop. Did you know they have some stationary cars and then others that glide back and forth as you go around? I flatly refused to go on a gliding one and barely made it through on a stationary car. I kept my eyes clamped shut the entire time, although from the pictures, it seems like it would have been a nice view.
 I hate heights. Hate. Crying and hyperventilating kind of hate. I managed to avoid a breakdown this time.









We watched the Pixar parade before heading over to try Goofy's Sky School. From the ground, it seems like a fun little roller coaster that doesn't go all that fast. It is a very different experience once you get on it. It propels you towards corners (which ends up looking like you're going to go flying off the edge to your death), then whips you almost violently around. I was screaming my head off and apparently tensing my entire body to the point of injury. I was so sore and disheveled once the ride ended, I could barely walk. John whipped out the camera to document the moment I stepped off the ride.
 Nathan enjoyed himself.


The most expensive corn dog ever.
But they were huge and delicious.

We were feeling a little done with California Adventure (since everyone except John had been traumatized on something) and still had another hour before Disneyland closed, so we ran over there to finish out our day. As it turned out, everyone was watching Fantasmic, so the rides were pretty much deserted. We rode Indiana Jones, Haunted Mansion, Jungle Cruise, and Pirates before the park closed.

That night, the boys were fast asleep as soon as their heads hit the pillow. We were all happily exhausted and definitely sore, but were looking forward to the next day's Magic Morning and a full day in the Disneyland park.

No comments: